Saturday 23 June 2012

A Tale of Three Cities

I spent one of the best weekends of my life in..... Glasgow!

I can’t really explain why I liked it so much... I think it was because Glasgow has a spark, a buzz, a sprightly, lively, young feel that I haven’t encountered since we left Auckland. It actually reminded me of Auckland in many ways with its mash of architectural styles, hilly terrain, inner city walkability and thriving music scene. Perhaps I’m just biased towards anywhere that reminds me of home.

There were some decidedly un-Aucklandy features though, like the sprawling Barras Market with its impressive collection of terrible horror movies, the inspiring art nouveau architecture of Glasgow’s own Charles Rennie MacKintosh, and the necropolis surrounded by cathedrals. (Necropolis is an infinitely cooler term than ‘graveyard’.) Plus, major bucket list item alerts - I have now seen the gravestone of the author who wrote Wee Willie Winkie and the Presidents of the United States of America live in concert. Woot!


The Presidents were on form and hilarious, they even played through their entire self-titled album from start to finish... a great blast from the past.

The pinnacle of Glaswegian fashion, or so the tourists think. Most people on the street actually sport more of a Jersey shore inspired look.


Our wanderings took us through an old necropolis...

The shots here more accurately captured true Scottish weather, somehow all the others ended up with blue sky...
We visited London in a very British way... which is to say we treated it very casually and had a great time without seeing any of the usual tourist attractions. Actually we did manage to fit in two hours at the Tate (and quickly found we needed 2 days). And I’ve seen the Tower of London and London Bridge from about 1km away.
OK, so we failed miserably. We’ll just have to go back...


Our wanderings didn't take us very far...
The Tate however was very... modern

We also visited a little Scottish town called Stirling, and saw a castle.
 

Check out that burger, epic.


The castle is famous for its head carvings, it was all pretty magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment