Sunday 8 July 2012

12 highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion

At last we were off to Scotland! Ben Nevis! The Highlands! Loch Ness! The Isle of Skye! Scotland is stunning. Picture a cartoon character falling in love, you know - jumping in the air, eyes popping out of sockets, heart leaping from their chest, tongue dangling from the mouth. Driving around Scotland is like that. It is an incredibly slow process because you have to stop every ten minutes for photos. If I could start my time in Scotland again I would find work in a hostel in some small corner of the Highlands and not even care about the money or the disgusting things that people left in their dorm rooms because I would be too busy revelling in the beauty of my surrounds.

Although the midgies might drive me out after a month or two.

Check it out!




When in Scotland, climb a highland.  So we did.






The first artwork I ever sold was to my friend Paul who bought it for $100 and a bottle of Glenmorangie.  Since then I've been a huge fan and couldn't resist a visit.


The distillers are the largest in Scotland, mainly because they are gin distillers.  The original owner preferred the taste... and so do I!
We stopped off in Inverness and had a great time at a pub/Thai restaurant with a traditional band playing and some interpretive Scottish jigs.  Unfortunately we only took a video so this photo of a piper will have to do.

We had planned a cruisy ride back to Edinburgh, but a head on collision between two trucks closed the main highway, forcing us on a frantic but scenic route through the eastern national parks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment